Wednesday 13 July 2011

Out of the gate - with a bump!

Despite - or perhaps because of - some unexpected logistical blips, my 30 day challenge is off to a wonderful start!

A thunderstorm trampled the local area on Monday night, knocking out power. And when i lose power? i lose internet and cable television. This afforded a distraction-free* Monday evening, with my daughter and i camped out in the living room – her bathed in the soothing light of her Kindle, and me squinting my way through the first chapter of “Packing for Mars” by the fluorescent glow of a camp lantern.

To bed early as well, since there wasn’t much else to do…and my head hurt from reading under the fluorescent light! But this was the 11th – a mere practice run for the start of the 30 Day Challenge!

Power was restored in the wee morning hours of the 12th, but still no cable or internet! The opportunities for distraction were again minimized. It was a hot, steamy summer afternoon, so i opted to do my reading poolside! Finished another chapter in about 35 minutes – the extra five minutes to compensate for the time spent swatting bugs, and dunking in the pool to cool off.

After a nice evening spent with my “Pub People”, i was home, and asleep, shortly after 11pm. The 0600 alarm didn’t hurt! Only one swat of the snooze button, and i was vertical by 0605! Not a bad start…

Attempting this post from my iPad, while camped out at a local coffee shop. Until internettivity is restored at the homestead, I may be a bit random here. But I'm in... I like the communal accountability!

-------------------

* Well, the nearly constant lightning show, and the sound of large tree branches cracking in the wind just outside the walls of the condo did create the occasional distraction…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to adapt! The family that reads together stays together, right? ;-)

Poolside sounds fabulous. I don't have one, but if I did I'd spend all my time floating around on a raft with a book in my hands. Probably a good thing I don't have a pool, huh?

bob said...

Nice.

If you had an iPad, you'd still have internet. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

Gnu Kid said...

you may end up having to call a friend who still has internet and dictating your post over the phone.

archaic!