Wednesday 13 July 2011

I've decided to organize photos...

Well, I've worked on organizing my photos for an hour now (instead of the planned 30 minutes), and I've come to the conclusion that 30 minutes a day for 30 days is just not going to be enough.

Here's what I'm doing, in case you're wondering what could possibly take so long. I wrote a program that sorts my photographs into folders based on the date they were taken (year, month, day). That's all automatic, so it is easy. Then I go through all of the photos (about 2,000 per month) and choose the "Best" or at least "Most representative" ones and copy them into my Best directory (also sorted by year and month). Then I like to caption each one (I usually end up with around 100 per month), and then select the "Best of Best" from the "Best", and copy THOSE to my Best of Best directory.

I'm actually doing pretty well keeping up with the Best directory (but not captions), but the Best of Best is WAY out of date.

Pretty daunting.

Once I catch up with all of that, I want to actually DO something with the photos. Print some out for framing, create photo memory books for people, make slideshow DVDs for my kids' classes, etc. Really can't do all that in 30 minutes a day.

3 comments:

Jen White Doom said...

OK, make that two hours. Still no closer to feeling like I'm making progress.

M L Jassy said...

I'm curious to see some of these photos that are such time-munchers!

Lynne Rees said...

I still find 'filing' on the computer a bit of a pain. Maybe I have luddite blood but being able to flick through bits of paper feels much easier. And I tend to be more ruthless about junking hard copy filing than computer docs/files/images because space isn't an issue.

Sending you lots and lots of encouragement though. I'm sure there'll be a point during the next 30 days where you start to see it all clearly.