Saturday 16 July 2011

the daily swim 4 and 5

Ahh! There seems to be a pattern to Day 4 when I read the most recent posts - I missed a day too: supermarket shopping, a guided tour of Antibes for one guest, then more guests late afternoon, and children of guests, and the friends of children of guests, and by the time the evening is over it's nearly 10 and I don't want to negotiate the unlit beach on my own where the water will be as dark and quiet as oil.

But I decide not to beat myself up about missing a day and this morning, Day 5, before 9am, before anyone else in the house is awake, I go down to the beach and swim in a sea that is as clear as light.

When I come out and dry off in the sun, I watch a little girl in flowered knickers standing under the beach shower with her mouth open, a woman with a large grey rose tattoo above her right buttock, and notice the surprising amount of older men in slight, tight speedos.

And I'm going to come back later - catch up with my missing swim and get back on track. Though sacrificing my own committment yesterday was worth it to hear the house and garden singing with so much children's joy and laughter.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was our first friday of the challenge! i'm going to be on guard next week...

the morning swim sounds spectacular!

M L Jassy said...

Old men in tight speedos is a surprisingly alluring turn-on for some. Not for me. Just sayin'. Morning swims are awesome.

Lynne Rees said...

I really don't like those speedos... I'm sure they're still available but the ones I see here look like they've been languishing at the back of wardrobes for 30 years and yanked out each summer... give me loose fit swimming trunks any day. That's to look at btw, not to wear. Women in loose swimming costumes aren't nice at all. Last year on our beach there was an old woman wearing the same costume she must have been wearing in the 1950s. There's only so much bikini line anyone wants to see.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fabulous way to start the day!