Tuesday 16 August 2011

Day 2 - Hace dos días

What I saw

  1. Text on phone about lunch
  2. White jeans at Aubun Wills
  3. oooo Brick Lane vegetable market
  4. Cheap household junk at other BL stalls
  5. Brunch table at Owl & Pussycat
  6. ooo Rebekah making post-brunch at Nelson's
  7. Getting lost during the run
  8. Seeing John the masseur finshing up my run
  9. Word with Friends notifications on iPhone
  10. Laptop screen with documents I didn't finish this weekend

5. Brunch table at the Owl and the Pussycat

The boys didn't want to sit upstairs we ordered at the bar and tried to decide on a table. Most of the chairs are stools and don't have backs. We sit by the door, but they decide to move to a bigger table that has benches.  I opt for the more comfortable thrift-store chair at the head of the table, professing it has a better view instead of saying I wanted to sit comfortably. 

The back patio is empty. Service didn't start till noon, so the place is still quiet as the wall clock reads 12:10. And that's probably bar time. Better than the 10:30 start the boys asked for last night. Who has Sunday brunch at 10:30am?

A woman sits at the table next to us, drinking a Bloody Mary and reading a paper while waiting for her foodl.  Our table is big -- distressed wood and could easily sit six, so there's plenty of room. The manager, perhaps even cuter than he was last visit, has cranked up the sound and starts dancing to "Brown Sugar" despite having told me he's shattered from last night and starting a double. He assures me the vegetable roast (egplant -- sorry, it's aubergine in these parts --, carrots and sweet potato in strudel) will be amazing. When the food arrives, I will find he did not steer me wrong.

The speaker is directly above our table, which means brunch will be louder than I expected. It's never this loud upstairs.

The patio fills while we're eating, as does the pub. My iPhone goes off, telling me a bloke I know who moved back north has just checked in on F'book to a pub with the same name as the one we're in. A few minutes later, he walks by and looks surprised to see me.  I'm not the one who moved.

"It's trendier here than I remember," he says.

I joke "that's 'cuase I'm here" and he says that might have something to do with it.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lunch sounds delicious.

Another nice story. Well done.

Mitzi G Burger said...

An unsurprised encounter. The strudel is very exciting, by contrast!

Gnu Kid said...

i was there right with you. your writing did that.