Tuesday 16 August 2011

Cryptically Mitzi, Day 2

Some of us are going beyond our comfort zones. That is what we taught our boys at school camp (when I taught at high school) when encouraging them to drop down from 15 foot ledges attached to a rope and carabine; or to climb 20 vertical feet on a ropes course, wearing a helmet and safety rope. In all of those team-building activities, the poor sucker trapped on a fashioned log at way too high metres is forced to trust the people below, and the person within.

Metaphorically, here in 30 Days land, we are holding each other's safety rope. I am so at the edge of my comfort zone I am in danger of falling off! Still, the second security feature on this madcap challenge - attempting 3 cryptic clues only - has got the second half of my August off to a cracking start.

Yesterday's answers - I won't know if they're correct until Monday.

I also attempted the mini-xword below the Omega, and I am able to check my answers using the Tuesday edition.

Here goes (and by the way, the first two are totally non-traditional cryptics, in my humble op!)

1. (weird, does not use the letters of the questions words)
Q Young and Grizzly (4, 3)
A Bear Cub

2 (weird, also does not use letters from question words, but it's bloody funny.)
Q What the devil may do if you don't pay the exorcist? (9)
A Repossess

3 (I tried this because the answer was only three letters. I got two out of the three letters. )
Q sounds like little dog gets every last bit of scrap (3)
A Yap
(I got "pup" and "ap" but could not make it from "pap" to "yap"...this one was a learning experience)

BONUS GLORY
(The answer was three letters, and this was a trad the-answer-is-in-the-question cryptic clue.)
Q Reach the abyss but not by donkey (3)
A Ass

Nerd note: I am cutting and pasting the crosswords into a special book. Am regressing to teenage geekdom. Fun!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

these are tricky! definitely requires a different way of thinking...

dinahmow said...

Well, I haven't actually said it's my challenge, but I'm so out of the crossword habit it will do my brain good to get back. So I'm also doing 3 cryptic clues from the Saturday Australian. Answers next week and will post my guesses later today.

Anonymous said...

Tough clues! You're brainier than I.

Mitzi G Burger said...

Hooray, I have a recruit to the cryptic cause!

Gnu Kid said...

you're pretty damn good at these. and i've got your rope...