Tuesday 16 August 2011

Reading & Riding: Day One

I decided to impose one more restriction on myself: No substitutions. I ran up and down the basement stairs probably ten times today, moving some things that we need to get rid of. And I thought, well, that's as good as riding the stationary bike, isn't it?

But that would miss the point. I'm supposed to be adding to my everyday activities. And I'm supposed to be reading. So, no substitutions.

I was tired and had a headache after dinner, and last night was a bit rough, and it was a grueling work day, and blah blah blah. But I pushed on. You can't skip Day One if you wish to have any credibility, with yourself or with others.

So we did the bedtime thing with the kids, and I got on the bike. I had a surprisingly hard time figuring out what to read. It seems like it has to be a certain kind of book - something with a good story, rather than say, a non-fiction book... though I have no idea why. It may take me a few days to settle on the right book.

At any rate, here are my stats for the first day:

Weight: 230.6 lbs
Distance: 3.86 miles
Calories: 187

It's a start. Which, I suppose, is the point.

--

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

that first day. i had high hopes for starting my 5 sets at 10 push ups, but after the first 2 i realized i was starting at 6.

but i started. and will get stronger if i keep doing it.

way to go! 29 more ahead!

Gnu Kid said...

good on ya for keeping the focus and making yourself do this. you may miss a few here and there (and forgive yourself when you do), but you've made a good start...and, yeah, that IS the point.

Anonymous said...

Great start! Like Mitzi says, you may miss a day or two here and there, but it's totally ok. Every day is a chance to get back on the horse, I mean bike. =)

Fiction is probably a good idea; like you said, it's a story to get lost in. I'm totally into Kurt Vonnegut right now, but he may not be for everyone. Good stories, though.

Best of luck on day 2. You can do it!

dinahmow said...

Ooh! Just realised I haven't noted the start stats.
Well, I weigh around 60kg (will check that tomorrow) and for a short-arse, that's a bit much.I'm 155cms.Will get The Man to measure the bat flaps. Not huge but, oh dear! flappy!

Great to see the positive focus!

Mitzi G Burger said...

Riding is rad! An old family friend once horrified me by saying I wouldn't lose weight on the bike. I think she meant (kindly) that first you stay steady as muscles develop and strengthen: so if you stay the same weight for a while before the cardio effort burns the bulk, it's because you're tanking up. eg my thighs weigh more than they did prior to jog-athon, and they are muscly as fuck, that's why. Good luck!