Wednesday 17 August 2011

Cryptically Mitzi, Day 3

Matters Arising:
Following some consultation with Parental Unit-M, I have revised some answers to Omega cryptic clues.
Now, "Youngster's Horses (3-4)" is not cryptic but I would never have known this. Apparently Uiver knew the phrase all along, and I'm foolishing for not asking him. The answer? Gee-gees. Weird. Ancient cockney or Aussie slang?
I also revised "identity nucleus if a neat plan" - the answer is IDEA based on gee-gees.

Just checked another answer from the Monday mini-cryptic. "Repossess" was correct for "what the devil may do if you don't pay the exorcist".

From the Tuesday mini-cryptic, I attempted 5 but I believe I only got three right.

Q Remove old North Brit in sketch (6)
A Scotch

Q Affirmative Returning after family doctor involved in sex research (6)
A Kinsey
(the "yes" of affirmative is "reversed" - clever, ha?)

Q Avoid invoice for monotreme (4-3)
A duck-bill

Ba-bowm. I got two out of three. My error was in the old North Brit.
the answer is DEPICT. That was very tricky. I was thinking of the slang term "scotch a plan".

Despite the 2 out of 3 success rate, I am getting a little addicted to the cryptic challenge. I am toddling through the Wednesday cryptic and looking forward to the solutions tomorrow. Major geek attack from within responds sharply (3): eek!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i assume you're doing these in pencil? i do believe i'd have NO idea where to start with these - but i'm tracking!

Anonymous said...

As Meat Loaf would say, two out of three ain't bad! Well done!

dinahmow said...

hmm...duck bill has four and four letters. Typo, perhaps?

dinahmow said...

Hah! I just realised what you did in signing off.Sharp!

Gnu Kid said...

these have me befuddled, but i do like the (not so?) subtle humor between the clues and the answers.