Tuesday 12 July 2011

Day 1 - The Garden

Hi Everyone!

Mission accomplished day one!  =)

This is a picture of my vegetable and weed garden.  I've been wanting to take one for a while, and now that I have, I see why I haven't.  Hopefully my photography skills will improve by the end of this challenge.

In the front is a strawberry and weed patch.  Behind it is the vegetable and weed patch.  (I guess you've figured out by now that it's been a while since I did any weeding.)  I'm growing broccoli, red bell peppers, yellow bell peppers, roma, early girl, and cherry tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, cabbage, cucumber, zucchini, more yellow squash than is reasonable, and of course weeds.  Oh, and in containers I have carrots and green beans, but you can't see those in the picture.

You've likely noticed the rather sad and depleted looking tomato plant on the right.  It's dying a slow, painful death.  For a reason I don't know the stalk is petrifying from the bottom up.  I've left it because there are a few rather small tomatoes on it, and today I saw they were beginning to turn red.  I'll yank it and toss it on the compost pile after I harvest the tomatoes.  Makes me sad though. 

Ok, more than you wanted to know, I'm sure.  Hope everyone is doing well on their challenges!  Looking forward to reading all about it.

-- kathi

3 comments:

M L Jassy said...

I plan to do gardening in my next 30 days. The photo has egg(plant)ed me on.

Sarah said...

Hi Kathi - I *love* this. For two reasons...

Firstly, I love photography - and having a nosey into other people's lives by the pictures they choose to take.
Secondly, your veg and weed patches are just like my own (though on a grander scale!). This is the first year I've tried a bit of good life cultivation in my back garden. Only tried the lettuce so far, but look forward to eating my own mange tout, broad beans. onions, celeriac, butternut squash etc. Hope we get to see more of the fruits (and veg) of your labours over the next month.

Jen White Doom said...

I love your post. I don't have a garden, but I'm absolutely sure that if I did, then my number one crop would be weeds.