Monday 18 July 2011

the daily swim 7

It was a bit chilly stepping into the sea today and I thought briefly about a paddle instead but womaned up and slid into the water. The temperature had dropped during the night and a cooler and frantic wind had been blowing all day from inland out over the sea. It probably has a name - all winds in Provence have names but I only know the sirocco and the mistral and it wasn't either of those as there was no desert sand and no heat.

The post-swim 'sit and dry off and scribble in my notebook' spell was punctuated by me telling a woman that dogs weren't allowed on the beach. It takes me some courage and effort to complain in a foreign language and I don't like being an enjoyment-squasher but a big bouncy black lab and soft sand and little kids playing on it don't work together. And there's a panneau on the promenade that distinctly has a picture of a wolfy thing with a red line across it.

I watch a little boy leaving the beach with his parents. He stops to fill up his Crocs with sand.

2 comments:

M L Jassy said...

Ne mangez pas les chiens ... no, that won't do ... s'il vous plait le chien quit la plage ... nearly there ... le woof woof est non non...

Anonymous said...

Cold water is not enjoyable in the least. Good for you for going in anyway. :-)