Monday 18 July 2011

Going crackers.

Hello!

I thought I'd better check-in before a week passed between bread-free posts.

This week is starting with a slight re-think. My original idea had been to ditch the bread AND sugar from my life for 30 days. Once I'd allowed myself to be slightly less ambitious and bring sugar back in (for reasons previously explained), I spiralled into a carb-meltdown as I found solace in a pantry of bread-substitutes: pastry, cakes, crackers, crumbles, biscuits. The list could (and does) go on...

Added to this, my very own Friday failure at the curry house, when I conveniently forgot that Naan happens to be bread whilst ordering my usual*.

So. This week I'm going to be cutting back on the carbs (the bread ban remains) and making a conscious effort to include at least one or two of my 5-a-day in each meal. (Not to get too graphic but there was a point, last week, where I thought I might be needing to pop to France and join in one of Lynne's stormy swims to get my dose of fibre for the day).

Now, to catch up with everyone else's experiences so far...



*in that I have no imagination in Indian restaurants, not that I am a frequent visitor. Well, not that frequent anyway.

5 comments:

bob said...

Took a never-had-Indian girl to Brick Lane last night. I'm still full. It was sooooo gooooood. It was more of a cheat weekend than a cheat day.

And we move forward.

I think one of the great things about this first week is that everyone is getting a handle on what's realistic and what's lofty in each of our goal setting worlds.

And that might even be better (or at least more beneficial in the long term) than doing the actual 30 days.

Hmmm.

oxox

Anonymous said...

Giving up bread would be tough.

LOVE Indian food, by the way. Can't get it where I live so I have to make my own... which doesn't always turn out so well. Have some for me! lol

Lynne Rees said...

I just couldn't give up bread here in France... it's just too lovely. I'd have baguette withdrawal symptoms. Good luck with the second week : )

M L Jassy said...

A rare species, the Never-Had-Indian Girl, Bob. I'm partial to the Never-Had-Hunanese. You can see the green chillies cause instant enlightenment (of the mouth.)

Speaking of cakes and biscuits, I am on a new kick of making butter-less cakes: the olive oil used is a fine substitute.

Anonymous said...

goal modification - nothing wrong with that! this process has helped me nail down what it is i REALLY want to do.

instead of "In bed by 11pm", i changed it to "i need 7 hours sleep at night"...

will be cheering you onward! i'm down 18 pounds through avoidance of carbs... it works.