Tuesday 23 August 2011

I did it again!

I ran another 5K this morning. It was only barely 12 hours after my previous 5K, but I needed to get it in before heading off to the Children's Museum in Cincinnati for the day.

It was a good run. I took 5 minutes off of my time (which should tell you how slowly I was running before), and could probably have gone faster. I'm starting to feel more tenderness on the soles of my feet, so we'll see how that goes.

I watched "Make It or Break It", which I always find inspiring and fun. Yes, I prefer to watch teenage drama television.

Now, it is 10:36pm, 6 minutes past my previous goal of getting to bed by 10:30. I'm glad I gave that one up! This one is better for me, anyway. And more attainable. Sleep is such an inconvenience!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray!

I heard a podcast once about a man who had to stop running because his knees got really bad. Then he took up barefoot running and has been running marathons ever since. They made a good argument for barefoot running, but I'd worry too much about stepping on something. Though he said you acquire a skill for avoiding objects in the road or on the sidewalk.

Well done. Hope you had a good time at the museum. Kids ought to be going back to school this week, eh?

Jen White Doom said...

My son went back today. My daughter starts kindergarten on Monday. *sigh*

I usually run on my treadmill because I can do that while the kids are home. When I can, though, I find that barefoot running outside is absolutely fascinating. I've run barefoot on all sorts of surfaces, including gravel roads, which are the worst, but not absolutely terrible.

Yes, you could step on something, but it is pretty unlikely because you become pretty aware of the surface, and I also think that any injury you get on the soles of your feet is likely to be superficial, but you can't really repair the damage that shod running can do to your joints.

Well, I have an hour before I need to leave to take my daughter to school, so I'm going to try to fit my run in now.

Thanks for your comment and support! That's what makes this work for me.

Mitzi G Burger said...

5 K's! Very inpsiring. I ought to up my 4 and a quarter. You rock!