Friday 15 July 2011

Prioritization!

An overnight adventure threw me yet another curve or two, but i've managed to stay the course with the book - it helps TREMENDOUSLY that "Packing for Mars" is just the right read* for me!

Trying to get home from work Wednesday, pack for an overnight, and hit the road by 7pm, while still getting in book time forced me to plop in the chair and read another chapter. Leaving my partially packed duffel bag on the bed. And the goal of getting to bed early, assuring 7 hours sleep? Check!

Spent the day on an outing with a friend - which included a zipline safari! Had a blast, but didn't get home until 10pm. Again, forced myself to drop in a chair and read - dirty laundry be damned!

Most interesting? i made it 3 days with no television, and only a bit of bootlegged internet. Services restored while i was away for the night. i am trying to continue to leave the television off, and manage my time on the internet (ie: stop being a laptop slug).

i've missed my local news presenters, though. i wonder if they've missed me? And the internet? i can quit any time i want to...

----------

*Mary Roach adores weird. It was the Apollo program that got me vectored toward a career in science. i think i want to have Ms. Roach's baby...

4 comments:

bob said...

A zipline!! That's something I've always wanted to do and haven't yet.

Having the kindle (which also synchs to my iGadgets) has really helped increase my reading time. I can knock out a few pages here and there whenever I get stuck somewhere (even if I only have my phone). Being an urban public transport boy helps too. If I were driving everywhere, as one is prone (required??) to do in so many other habitats, I'd probably not be reading as much.

Of course, that doesn't help you with your particular focus/concentrate/rehone-the-attention-span sub-goal, but still ... reading is reading. xoxo

Have a great holdiay!!!! xoxo

M L Jassy said...

I'm very curious about what's involved in a zipline safari. sounds like fun!

Anonymous said...

A zipline safari- wow, does that ever sound like fun! (And really scary! lol)

I haven't read Packing for Mars, but have read Spooked and Stiff. I liked Stiff. (Spooked, not so much.)

Anonymous said...

@bob - once I get back to reading books again, and rewire my brain, I am likely to get the kindle app on the iPad... It would be better to read a book during boring presentations tha surf Facebook on my blackberry...

@Mitzi - zip line course strung across platforms in the middle of a nature conservancy, hosting a variety of endangered critters below. No carnivores, though...

@somsmom - I adored "stiff", and plan to read 'bonk', and maybe 'spooked'....