Thursday 18 August 2011

Success!

I did it! I went to bed by 10:30 last night... earlier even, maybe. I think I was asleep by 10:30. We were in a hotel in Indianapolis, so we could arrive when they opened at 10am, which would have been hard if we had had to drive 2.5 hours first. Also, adding a cheap hotel stay into it made it feel like a vacation instead of just a museum trip.

Anyway, I went to bed early but slept terribly because the bed was too soft and the room was too moist. I don't know what to say about that... it was just really humid in that room, and the air conditioner seemed to make it worse. Opening the window helped, but I had to close it halfway through the night when I realized that the sun streaming in would wake the kids earlier than I wanted.

So, I did it, but woke up a million times, so I'm still tired. I'm hoping for better luck tonight in my own bed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea! You did it!

But no one ever sleeps well in hotels. I heard on a science podcast recently this has something to do with being in an unfamiliar place dating back to the caveman days when they had to be alert to danger at all times. No doubt you'll sleep like a baby in your own bed.

Hope you had a good time at the museum and the kids had fun in the pool!

bob said...

Depends on the hotel, in my experience. A trip to the Four Seasons on the company dime ... I used to be out like a light. Those were the days.

As a sporadic insomniac and frequent neurotic, I've done my share of 'how do I get to sleep' programs. I can really recommend pzizz.com. It's great. That said, it works best if you get into the ritual of getting into bed at the same time, something I'm not very good at. At all.

Gnu Kid said...

agree with bob on the 'get to bed at the same time each night' thing. i do best when i follow that advice...which, unfortunately, i don't do well at.