Wednesday 27 July 2011

I have been cleaning and decluttering all day, while watching three of my neighbors' four kids while their moving truck packs up their belongings to move to Texas (*sob*). I'm going to sit down for a minute, even though my kitchen island is still a mess, so I can take a break and do some photo organization.

I signed up for a trial of Carbonite to solve my backup issues. For $50 a year, it will provide me with an offsite backup of all of my files in case my laptop gets stolen or lost or whatever. Yes, I could do it myself with a USB hard drive, but I've tried that a bunch of times and I have trouble keeping up with it, and I really don't trust it. And if the house burns down, then where am I? Anyway, so Carbonite is uploading my 125GB of files right now. It should only take about 30 days. Ha!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a mad house at your place. But also like you're getting much accomplished. Yea!
I've heard some about backup system companies and always wondered if I should do it. I totally get your point about losing stuff in a fire. I currently have *some* of my photos on discs in a firesafe box but that requires a whole lot more work than a subscription to an offsite web company. I've lost a ton of photos in hard drive failures and it breaks my heart. Ah technology. Sometimes I wonder if we weren't better off before it exploded.

M L Jassy said...

It sounds like the beginning of a country song..."fou kids across the road are moving to Texas..."

Backup plans are a very good idea. At first I read "back issues", so backup issues are probably preferable.

Lynne Rees said...

I know what you mean about backing up - I'm terrible at doing it regularly... in fact I'm going to to it right now!