Wednesday 27 July 2011

the daily swim 15

Hey - half way through. Last night's swim was under a cloudy sky with Oliver, 7-year-old grandson, who said he didn't need my help as we swam out of his depth but within 30 seconds was gurgling, 'I think I need help.'

Today's swim is likely to be postponed as the morning started with a thunderclap that nearly turned the cat inside out and the rain is not letting up.

As much as I like, for the most part, my inherited grandchildren and my nieces and nephews, and great niece and nephew, I remain pleased that I didn't have my own kids. One, it is mind numbingly boring having to tell someone what to do all the time. Two, they don't come equipped with on/off switches. And three, I would be in prison by now for having have sold one, or given one away, before they were 5.

Gone off the subject there, although keeping my head above water might be an apt metaphor for living with a kid for a week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My baby's name is Oliver. He's a dog. Having a puppy is like having a baby, but now that he's five he's more fun than a human kid could ever be. And I don't have to tell him what to do all the time-- which I agree, is mind numbingly boring.

bob said...

I've always said, 'better to be the uncle than the dad.'

I hope he (and you) didn't panic. One of my 'to-dos' is to get my PADI resuce diver certification (ultimate goal = SCUBA instructor someday). Have seen people freak out in the open water and it's not pretty.