Tuesday 2 August 2011

the daily swim 21

I count 100 strokes out and 100 strokes back. There are boys on each other's shoulders trying to wrestle one another into the water. A man floating belly down on an airbed. A young couple splashing and diving on one another. In the bay a double masted yacht I'd like to climb aboard. The Alpes Maritimes are covered in mist. It is strange being on my own here. There is a moveable frontier between alone and lonely. Sometimes they seem so very far apart, other times they wrap around each other. I'm not sure what I am at the moment. I think that the continuing wave of guests and negotiating the sale of the house (and thinking about the move back to the UK ahead) are combining to make me wobble.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

despite the wobble, those 200 strokes seem to provide some balance. for the wobble, as with swimming, breathing is a good place to focus...

alone / lonely is indeed a sliding scale.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes we are loneliest in a crowd. But I find that usually happens to me when I have much on my mind, which it sounds like you do. Hopefully the swimming is helping.

Mitzi G Burger said...

A beautifully described scene, both the external and interior.