Thursday 28 July 2011

Mitzi and the Dap Kings

Today I ran a sweaty 3.3k's down in the gym. I always start with the setting on a difficult "incline" (the ramp-thing is tilted at a hill angle); then as the jog gets more challenging I lower the level until I am running on a less gruelling angle.

Something keeping me going with the sweat-fest, other than being able to fit into my favourite local designer's clothes, is being able to report back. I freely admit that the ritual of exercise includes a little ... I wouldn't say bragging, but definitely validation. The need to clock on and off is a timeless human impulse.

Today I listened to Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, on a podcasted live concert from Newport Jazz (or Folk?) festival. The woman is a tiny dynamo, I saw her once here in Sydney. Her voice is rich in feeling and she clearly loves the chance to get an audience on their feet and grooving. Her song "100 Days, 100 Nights" is a total, hands down smash hit and the rest of her music is bloody great.

2 comments:

Lynne Rees said...

I wonder if it says something about our personalities... the way we run? I always start with the easy bit - on the flat - then aim for a slow uphill climb in the middle, then some more flat, and then downhill on the way home, as a reward. But I generally don't listen to music. Maybe music detracts from the effort of the uphill to start? Or do you like to get the hard bit out of the way?

Anonymous said...

Checking in here is definitely a good motivator... and you have every reason to be proud of keeping up with your challenge.